Terry Laughlin Inspirational Quotes: Tribes of Mentor by Tim Ferriss


1.    Life is not designed to hand us success or satisfaction, but rather to present us with challenges that make us grow. Mastery is the mysterious process by which those challenges become progressively easier and more satisfying through practice. The key to that satisfaction is to reach the nirvana in which love of practice for its own sake (intrinsic) replaces the original goal (extrinsic) as our grail. The antithesis of mastery is the pursuit of quick fixes. (P. 441)

2.    Five steps to mastery:

1.    Choose a worthy and meaningful challenge.
2.    Seek a sensei or master teacher (like George Leonard) to help you establish the right path and priorities.
3. Practice diligently, always striving to hone key skills and to progress incrementally toward new levels of competence.
4. Love the plateau. All worthwhile progress occurs through brief, thrilling leaps forward followed by long stretches during which you feel you’re going nowhere. Though it seems as if we’re making no progress, we are turning new behaviors into habits. Learning continues at the cellular level . . . if you follow good practice principles.
5.    Mastery is a journey, not a destination. True masters never believe they have attained mastery. There is always more to be learned and greater skill to be developed. (P. 441)

3.    In 1987, I finally recognized that unresolved grief was keeping me from enjoying my work, and that only a hiatus from coaching could resolve it. (P. 442)

4.    I had no long-term vision for where this (Total Immersion Program) might go, but I was making a real impact on those who attended and loved being self-employed with my job security dependent only on the quality of my efforts. (P. 443)


5.    I would ask a smart, driven college student to examine what is it they are driven to do. Are you driven to achieve an intrinsic or extrinsic goal? (P. 444)

6.    If your highest goal is incremental, patient, continual learning and development in critical skills and core competencies—and you allow recognition, promotions, and financial rewards to be a natural result of the excellence you attain at core competencies—you will be far more likely to experience success and satisfaction, and perhaps even attain eminence, in your field. (P. 444)

7.    My basic motivations: To continually deepen my understanding of technique and performance. I’ve never been satisfied that I had the last word, always felt certain there were further insights and nuances to be learned; To have a life-changing positive impact on those I coached; and To leave an enduring mark on the field of swim coaching, to leave the profession better off than I found it. At 66, I’m just as passionate and curious as I was at 21, if not more so, and I have no plans to retire. I can’t imagine anything else I might have done which would have brought greater fulfillment. (P. 444)
Image result for terry laughlin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Immersion

Reference

Ferriss, Timothy. Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World (P. 440). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition.

Comments