Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks Inspirational Quotes: Tribes of Mentor by Tim Ferriss



1. The lowest point in my life actually came about when I published in 2002—on September 11, 2002, the first anniversary of 9/11—a book called The Dignity of Difference.
I decided that I would write a personal response to 9/11 to be published on the first anniversary. It was called The Dignity of Difference. It was a very strong book and a very controversial book. Members of my own community believed that I had simply gone too far, and that I had actually been guilty of heresy.
It was then that I heard a voice. I’m not going to say this was God talking to me, but it was certainly a voice that said to me, “If you resign, you have given your opponents the victory. You have allowed yourself to be defeated in this first battle of what you see as the major challenge of the coming generation.”
That was when I suddenly realized that it wasn’t about me. It was about not letting down the people who had put their faith in me and not betraying the ideals that had led me to take the job in the first place and write the book in the second place.
There was a 180-degree shift, a Copernican shift in my understanding of the nature of what I was doing. It wasn’t personal at all; there was no self involvement here. It’s about what you stand for, and the people that you care about. From that moment on, I became, in a sense, invulnerable, because I was no longer putting myself on the line. P 158-160

2. "Live. Give. Forgive." They are by far the most important things in life. P 160

3. I realized that leaving a job as public and as privileged as that was almost certain to bring withdrawal symptoms and risk of depression. I took a decision to overschedule my diary in order to simply not have time to be depressed. P 161

4. fear and hence defensiveness. This is precisely the wrong way to face the future. Face it full of hope, knowing that whatever challenge lies ahead, you are equal to it, and just deliver a message that is precisely the opposite of fear and defensiveness. P 162

5. What did I key into the sat-nav system of my life [where do I want to be 10, 20 years from now]? What is my ultimate destination? You have to look at that every time you feel overwhelmed. Remembering that destination will help you make the single most important distinction in life, which is to distinguish between an opportunity to be seized and a temptation to be resisted. P 162

Image result for rabbi lord jonathan sacks quotes 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Sacks

https://www.amazon.com/Not-Gods-Name-Confronting-Religious/dp/080521268X/ref

https://www.amazon.com/Dignity-Difference-Avoid-Clash-Civilizations/dp/0826468500/ref

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Partnership-Religion-2-Sep-2014-Paperback/dp/B011T72OQU/ref

https://www.amazon.com/Covenant-Conversation-Numbers-Wilderness-Reading/dp/1592640230/ref

RABBI LORD JONATHAN SACKS is an international religious leader, philosopher, award-winning author, and respected moral voice. He was awarded the 2016 Templeton Prize in recognition of his “exceptional contributions to affirming life’s spiritual dimension.” Rabbi Sacks has been described by HRH The Prince of Wales as “a light unto this nation” and by former British prime minister Tony Blair as “an intellectual giant.” Since stepping down as the chief rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the Commonwealth—a position he held for 22 years—Rabbi Sacks has held a number of professorships at several academic institutions including Yeshiva University and King’s College London. He currently serves as the Ingeborg and Ira Rennert Global Distinguished Professor of Judaic Thought at New York University. Rabbi Sacks is the author of more than 30 books. His most recent work, Not in God’s Name: Confronting Religious Violence was awarded a 2015 National Jewish Book Award in America and was a top ten Sunday Times bestseller in the UK. Rabbi Sacks was knighted by Her Majesty The Queen in 2005 and made a Life Peer, taking his seat in the House of Lords in October 2009.


 Reference

Ferriss, Timothy. Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World (P. 157). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition.


Comments