Aisha Tyler: Tribes of Mentor by Tim Ferriss



1.       Jack Canfield quote, “Everything you want is on the other side of fear.” If something terrifies me, I typically sprint flat-out toward it, and that has served me well, both professionally and personally.
But everyone gets scared, and I sometimes have to remind myself to remain brave when I’ve taken enough steps toward a goal that I can’t turn back, and feel like the floor has fallen out from underneath me.
I try to live in a space of bravery in every aspect of my life: creative, professional, familial, and in my friendships. Being brave means being present and willing to give of yourself regardless of result.
Remaining brave has helped me push toward those goals through paralyzing crises of confidence. (P. 432)

2.       I spent the next decade visiting every set I could, shadowing every director I knew, and several I didn’t know, to learn about the craft I was so deeply passionate about.
There are no radical creative choices that do not carry with them an inherent risk of equally radical failure. You cannot do anything great without aggressively courting your own limits and the limits of your ideas.
There is nothing more powerful than failure to reveal to you what you are truly capable of. Avoiding risk of failure means avoiding transcendent creative leaps forward. You can’t have one without the other. (P. 432-433)

3.       I tried to take on an approach of saying no to everything that doesn’t energize me personally or creatively.
~over time, those commitments cannibalize my creative time and keep me from reaching my personal goals.
Marie Kondo method: “Discard [say no to] everything that does not spark joy.” (P. 434-435)

Image result for aisha tyler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisha_Tyler

Reference

Ferriss, Timothy. Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World (p. 432). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition.


Comments